Why isn’t Functional Programming the Norm?
by Richard Feldman (46min)
40:09 Why isn’t functional programming the norm?
- No sufficiently large “killer apps”
- No exclusivity on large platforms
- Can’t be a quick upgrade if substantially different
- No epic marketing budgets
- Slow & steady growth takes decades
41:01 Are OO languages the norm because of uniquely OO features?
- Information hiding (encapsulation) is not a uniquely OO feature. Modules can do it too.
- Inheritance is uniquely OO, but OO best practice encourages using composition instead.
- Without inheritance, objects and methods are not significantly different from structs and procedures.